Day 53 - Liverpool - ride total 3,804 k, 24,350 m

 Britain continues to educate me. 


In 2017 this Kiwi was promptly shown on day one of his 5, 000 km ride, that, a) Britain has hills - like ones that make a touring cyclist on day one get off and push, and b) Britain does experience heat waves of plus 30 degrees, and c) it just so happens that both those lessons were learnt at the on same day ! 

This time round She has taught me that everything I wrote in an earlier blog about how easy it is to book accommodation for the next night, tonight, simply, does not apply here in Britain! 

My casual thoughts of a week ago of taking in the Lakes District disappeared when I couldn't find suitable accommodation. No worries just switch where I'm going. Let's make it Wales then. 

Well, I almost managed it having spent last night in Hereford close to the England/Wales border with thoughts of riding into Wales today. However, after much searching and not happy about paying hundreds of pounds for a bed for one I changed the process as clearly the process that served me so well for the first 3,500 km's of this ride is now failing going forward. 

The new process works like this - 

1. search for some accommodation - (this part of these countries is all new to me so I'm happy to go to places I've not been before). 

2. Once having found accommodation then work out how to get there. If it's within 100 km's, great design the bike route and get riding when I like. If it's beyond that, then look at transport options being train or a combination of bike and train. Bear in mind what I have previously written about the induced stress from using public transport with your bike, so it is never the favoured option. 

So, all this leads to where I am sitting right now Platform one, Hereford Railway Station, with a ticket to get me and the bike to Liverpool (I believe that's where the Beatles originated). So now I'm off to do some exploring in Liverpool with the knowledge that I have a bed for the night. 

The bridges I've seen so far on the journey do not look very comfortable places to sleep under and not wanting to resort to using one as an overnight option when I arrived in Liverpool I went shopping for a lightweight one person tent of which I am now the proud owner. The tent will be my insurance fallback option if all else fails. 

My ride to "Go Outdoors" which is my go to outdoor shop here took me right through the heart of downtown Liverpool and what a busy place it is - wall to wall pedestrians making it difficult to get through on the bike. The ride along the waterfront went past the cruise liners and the industrial and apartment complexes that have been developed within the redundant waterfront warehouses the like. It was quite revealing to see existing waterfront industry beside, derelict unused waterfront warehouses beside  buildings in the process of redevelopment through to smart new apartments within the old buildings. My guess is that before too long there will not be any of the derelict buildings left as it becomes economic due developers to taken them on and turn them into apartments. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Day 1

Travel Day 5

Day 52 - Little Malvern to Hereford - Ride total 3,780 k, 24,250 m